A Bowstring Winter - By Dhruba Hazarika
Rajiv Baruah
2006-08-22 11:15:47 UTC
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks for sharing that with us. Over the years, I have seen a number of
articles and interviews by Dhurba.
I knew him (and his brother) from our university days. Even in those days,
Dhurba was very outgoing and a great pleasure to to around with.

--Ram
Hello All,
I heard of "A Bowstring Winter" during my holiday in Shillong last week. I
mm told captures the Shillong of the 70's very accurately - I have not had
the chance to read it as yet.
Dhruba and his sibling were our heroes in those days, especially his
brother who was a black belt in Karate - a sixth dan I was told by another
kid from their neighbourhood - so that was huge. I am told he is still as
fit as ever, which I guess he has to be being the commandant of the India
Reserve Batallion in Dibrugarh.
A book review is attached.
**
*A Bowstring Winter
Dhruba Hazarika.
Penguin. Pages 343. Rs 295.*
*[image: A Bowstring Winter]D*hruba Hazarika's realistic novel is set
against the lush-green hills and the mist-laden mountains of Shillong. The
pristine silence of the valley suspended in time and space stands in direct
contract with violence and bloodshed in the work. The story deals with one
winter, the book itself being divided under the headings *November*, *
December* and *January*.
John Dkhan, a teacher of political science at St Edmund's College, enters
into a dangerous friendship with James Kharlukhi and his gang. These
gangsters had connections with the bookies and made money out of
manipulating the number of arrows. These occasions never went unscathed
without incidents of violence and killing.
Loneliness is inherent in each of the characters. Without family and
friends, John Dkhan craves nostalgically for a world that now existed only
in his mind. James Kharlukhi, an orphan and a philanderer, makes dirty money
and spends his entire life playing with dangers. Dor Kharkonger, who finds
poetry in the bow, fails to relate to a similar situation in his marriage.
Friendship is what knitted James and his companions together: "It was the
code of friendship, like a bowstring: tight, like an arrow: straight." The
blind faith and loyalty to James lands all of them into trouble. John Dkhan
walked tightrope between friendship and love, guilt and justification. He
now finds himself a stealthy lover, a hypocrite friend and a coward with no
guts to face the truth. Was it James' personality that swamped his or was it
Jemmifer, the woman he fell for?
The mysterious hands of destiny work their way unexpected on human beings.
One can try to be what one can be and if one is pulled away from it by other
things, then that is the way it was meant to be. John Dkhan had the least
premonition when he first met James that instead of holding pen and paper,
he would pick up a knife.
There is an unending yearning for love. John was looking for love, but
instead enters a circle of violence over which he had no control. Life at
the Kaizang was a feast all the way until love came in, but finally when it
comes, it feasted on all of them. Almost all the characters are swayed by a
ruling passion. James Kharlukhi has a passion for danger, Charles has it for
hatred, Dor Kharkonger for friendship and John's for his woman. Passion
leads all of them into serious consequences. The book is on the whole an
amalgam of human instincts and emotions. The context of the work makes the
use of swear words necessary. The narrative is racy and the use of
vernacular makes it even more charming to read.
AND ANOTHER
A new novel for Shillong lovers - A Bowstring Winter by Dhruba
Hazarika <http://dkvblog.sulekha.com/blogs/blogdisplay.aspx?cid=52708> A
Bowstring Winter by Dhruba Hazarika. A novel set in Shillong
by: Dev Kumar Vasudevan<http://dkvblog.sulekha.com/blogs/blogdisplay.aspx?contributor=Dev+Kumar+Vasudevan> on May 18 2006 11:16AM in
Books <http://dkvblog.sulekha.com/blogs/blogcategory.aspx?catid=4796> *comments
rss:* <http://dkvblog.sulekha.com/blogs/syndication.aspx?feedtype=blogentrycomments&cid=52708>
Memories of Shillong: Hills, clouds, rain, mist, cold, plums,
pineapples, oranges, good music, guitars, good clothes, faded jeans, pretty
girls, the Khasis, Garos, Jaintias, Assamese, Bengalis, Army, Assam Rifles,
Geological Survey of India, Laitumukhrah, Nongrim Hills, Nongthymmai, Spread
Eagle Falls, Laitkor peak, Happy Valley, Burra Bazar, Police Bazar, State
Central Library, Rock concerts in Laban, Dhankheti, St. Edmund's College,
Brother Pinto and his Alsatian.....
For Shillong lovers and Shillong watchers (and for book lovers too). A new
novel set in Shillong. Just came to know about it from the *Penguin India
website* <http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/>*.
**A Bowstring Winter* <http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/Books/BookDetail.asp?ID=6280> by
*Dhruba Hazarika. *<http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/AuthorLounge/AuthorDetail.asp?aid=3614>
Dhruba (b. 1956, Shillong) is a product of St. Edmund's College Shillong
and of Guwahati University. He has won the Katha award for creative writing
in English in 1996.
Looking forward to getting a copy of this book. Will send a
recommendation to my online bookshop.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think it is a great news for the Assamese literary world.
But I don't see any news paper report.
Poor Assamese media.
RB

On 8/22/06, Rajiv Baruah <rajiv.baruah at usa.net> wrote:
[...]

by: Dev Kumar Vasudevan on May 18 2006 11:16AM in Books comments rss:

[...]

Barua,

Not sure about reviews, but the Sentinel does carry regular articles/stories
by Dhurba. There was once even an interview (I think either the AT or the
Sentinel) with him. It was a very interesting interview about him, his love
for sports, his sons etc.

--Ram